Carer Support

A carer is someone who helps another person, usually a relative or friend in their day to day life.

This is not the same as someone who provides care professionally or through voluntary organisations.

Carers are adults and children who take care of adults or disabled children and they are unpaid.

The caring role can be stressful and isolating. Carers provide care to people who are ill, frail or living with a disability and cannot manage without them.

Carer Support Contact Information

Carers Assessment - contact adult social care first response:01925 443322

WIRED Carers Centre: 01925 633492

Cheshire & Warrington Carer's Trust: 0300 120 0008

NHS Carers Direct Helpline: 0800 055 6112

St Rocco's Hospice Family Support Team: 01925 579213

Young Carers

A Young Carer is a child or young person under 18 years who helps to look after a family member who has a disability, mental health condition, illness, or a substance misuse problem.

Helping may be a normal part of growing up, however, this group of young people regularly carry out significant or substantial caring tasks and assume a level of responsibility which would normally be associated with an adult.

Often Young Carers are hidden. They may not think of themselves as carers​, and may not be recognised as such by other people like friends, teachers, GPs and even other family members. Young Carers can be of any age, gender, ethnicity or from any cultural background. 

Some examples of the different ways a Young Carer might care for someone include:

Providing personal care, helping someone to get up, washed or dressed

  • Doing lots of household chores like cleaning, shopping or cooking
  • Looking after younger brothers or sisters
  • Providing emotional support
  • Keeping an eye on someone and staying home a lot of the time to make sure someone is ok

Young Carers Self Referral

Young Carers can self-refer to the Warrington WIRED service by visiting:

Financial Support For Carers

You may be entitled to a Carer’s Allowance, this is is £66.15 a week to help you look after someone with substantial caring needs.

You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for. To check your eligibility and apply visit - GOV.UK's Carer's Allowance

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website